Managed Transportation Technology Case Studies
Talking Rain Beverage Company is a U.S. market leader of sugar-free bottled waters and beverages. They were looking for a 3PL that would replace their insourced transportation department and operational execution. They sought to lower their costs, improve service, increase shipment visibility and provide solutions to support the retail market. They also wanted a supply chain partner capable of thinking creatively about product distribution.
- XPO created seamless efficiencies for Talking Rain across North America by moving the company’s fragmented broker base to a centralized management system of asset-based carriers via XPO Connect.
- XPO utilized Power BI to provide interactive visualizations and business intelligence reports and dashboards to Talking Rain.
- We reassigned Talking Rain’s transportation department to other areas within the company.
- XPO replaced a 90% broker solution with a heavy carrier asset solution.
- In the first 8 months following implementation, XPO managed the transportation of more than 29,000 shipments for Talking Rain.
- The company’s average procurement cost per truckload improved substantially: as much as 8% below the customer retail market rates, with 100% reliability in securing capacity.
- By leveraging the purchasing power of an ever-changing transportation market, XPO was able to lower Talking Rain’s costs.
- XPO anticipates ongoing service improvements for shipments to Talking Rain’s primary carriers.
A leader in the beauty industry was in need of 3PL services for its North American locations. The company creates skincare, color cosmetics, fragrances and other personal care products. Unhappy with their in-place 3PL, the company was interested in working with a partner to reduce their transportation spend and help improve service to their customers. The company faced tight timelines and needed help with both TL and LTL services. It was important to work with a company that would uphold their reputation that spans over a century.
- XPO Connect and TMS granted access to real-time data, carrier dispatch, order optimization and freight audit and payment services.
- XPO communicated with the client through both proactive and follow-up emails and notifications.
- XPO exercised a continuous improvement mentality to redesign the client’s processes and make their operations run more smoothly and effectively.
- XPO serviced hubs for the client that were located around the country in multiple locations, originating from their main warehouse in the Midwest and reaching as far as California and Florida.
- The client was very happy with the improved responsiveness that was provided by XPO.
- XPO’s actions generated significant savings for the client. In some instances, existing carriers lowered their established prices.
- Pertinent information was relayed by XPO to the client in a timely manner, allowing enough time to circumvent potential issues.
- XPO serviced roughly 400 shipments per month, with an average of $9M of freight under management.
- Through optimization, XPO added extra cushion time to the client’s lanes, which increased their on-time delivery percentage.